Monday, March 7, 2016

Maximum Value at a Short-Stacked Cash Game

The $2/$5 No-Limit cash game at Snoqualmie has one very interesting anomaly: The maximum buy-in is limited to only $300. This has implications for how one should play this game. For example, say you’re on the button at a full ring game. A player in middle position raises to $15. Action folds to you, and you look down at 97s. If effective stacks were, say, $1000, this hand would definitely be worth playing (and might even merit a re-raise). But with only $300 behind, this hand hits the muck. There just isn’t enough implied odds to make such a speculative holding worthwhile.

Given that context, the following hand came up, and I’m pretty sure I got maximum value from it.

The player under-the-gun raised to $15. By the time action got to me in the small blind, three callers had come along for the ride. This, by the way, is another hallmark of this game; lots of preflop limpers and callers, which again has implications for how one should play certain hands.

I looked down at AcQc – a premium hand for this situation, for sure. I saw that there was $67 in dead money in the pot, and decided that was a big enough number of chips to try to take right there. I also realized that if anyone called (and the initial caller was the one most likely to do so), my hand had plenty of post-flop equity to continue on with. I decided to raise to $80. The big blind folded, and action returned to the preflop raiser.

I could tell from his reaction that he thought I was just trying to steal the pot. As the table sheriff, he wasn’t going to let me get away with it. He smooth called; everyone else folded, and we took the flop heads-up.

The flop came 4c 2c 7d. So I had flopped the nut flush draw; a backdoor draw to the idiot end of a straight; and I had two overcards. Overall, I was likely way ahead. Even if my opponent had something like pocket tens or Jacks, I was over 50% to win. Only a flopped set had me in trouble. If ever a flop called out for a c-bet, this was it.

I checked.

In doing so, I tried to look as weak and as disappointed as I could. After all, my opponent appeared convinced that I was merely on a steal; I was hoping that by feigning weakness I could induce him to bluff. And he did.

He pushed all-in, which (given the starting stacks) was only around $200. I nearly beat him into the pot, and immediately flipped my hand face-up for all to see. No slow-rolling for me!

The dealer completed the board with the 5h and the 2d. In other words, I had completely missed everything, and ended the hand with a measly Ace-high.

My opponent looked at the board, and slowly mucked his hand. My Ace-high was winner. I can only assume that he had a hand like King/Queen or King/Jack – hands far too weak to open under the gun, at least for me.


If I’d bet the flop with a c-bet, I’m pretty sure he’d wiggled off the hook. But my weak check gave him the green light to try to push me off the hand. Sadly for him, I had the near nuts. I wasn’t going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment